The Evergreen Heritage Center (EHC), located on approximately 130 acres of “Federal Hill” in the heart of Allegany County, is an historic Maryland estate that pre-dates the Revolutionary War. The EHC includes the Evergreen mansion (now a museum), beautifully landscaped grounds and gardens, trails, streams, and forest, all in a picturesque setting adjacent to the Great Allegheny Passage and Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. The EHC is ten minutes from the town of Frostburg, twenty minutes from the city of Cumberland, and roughly two hours from either Washington D.C., Baltimore, or Pittsburgh. A presentation on the Evergreen Heritage Center, a snapshot summary of EHC programs, a profile of the EHC Foundation, directions to the EHC, and an EHC Moodle page with educator resources are available on-line.
The Evergreen Heritage Center Foundation, Inc., a non-profit 501 (c) (3) public charity, was formed in March 2008 to utilize Evergreen to provide experiential and environmental learning opportunities. The Foundation, which is working with a variety of partners in the academic, arts, business and public service communities, is dedicated to:
Education: Offering environmental education and hands-on learning programs for children of all ages and circumstances, teaching young people skills that will help them sustain themselves and the environment.
Conservation: Showcasing best practices in environmental conservation and providing education in and demonstrations of those practices to children and adults.
Preservation: Continuing the EHC’s research and preservation of the history of Western Maryland and the rich culture and heritage of the region.
For a list of our board members or to contact us to request more information on our Foundation including a copy of our IRS Letter of Determination, please click here.
Events and Programs:
- Art Workshops, conducted by local Artist Maggie Pratt and sponsored in part by the Allegany Arts Council, offer participants the opportunity to explore their inner artist. We provide all the necessary art supplies and you take home your masterpiece as a memory of a fun afternoon. Workshops include exploring various modes of artistic expression including painting with oils and watercolor. See our Art Workshops flyer for a description of our current 2015 series, or for queries or registration call 301-687-0664 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Art and Science Discovery Camps encourage children ages 8 to 12 to explore the outdoors while participating in fun educational activities. This year we have three week-long programs: one week of art and two of science. Register for one, two, or all three weeks. See our handouts on:
- Art Discovery Camp for a description of our one week Art in the Outdoors program
- Science Discovery Camp – one week each of Garden Discovery and Eco-Explorers
- Camp Pricing Sheet for a summary of both our art and science camps and the discounts available for multiple siblings and/or multiple weeks of camp
- Camp Registration Packet to apply for either program
Don’t hesitate to call 301-687-0664 or email email@example.com for queries or registration.
- Gardening Workshops offer the opportunity to enjoy hands-on outdoor experiences in organic gardening, landscaping with native plants, controlling weeds and pests, gardening for pollinators, composting, and preserving the garden harvest. See our 2015 Gardening Workshop series flyer, or for more information or to register, call 301-687-0664 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Professional Development Training, offered in partnership with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, is available for educators seeking to learn more about environmental education activities. One-day and multi-day programs are available. For more information, call 301-687-0664 or email email@example.com.
- Open House Days in 2015 include the following Sundays from 1-4pm: May 24th, June 21st, September 13th, and October 11th. On these days, visitors may tour the Evergreen Heritage Center grounds free of charge. Guided tours of the Museum and Barn are available for $7.50/person.
- Tours of the Evergreen Heritage Center are also available for groups at other times upon request. A donation of $7.50/person, with a minimum of $30, is requested. For more information or to schedule a visit call 301-687-0664.
- Please visit www.CumberlandHsitoryTours.com to arrange area tours.