With its partners, the Evergreen Heritage Center Foundation leverages the historic 130-acre Evergreen Heritage Center farm and estate to provide high-quality education programs for more than 7,000 youth and adults annually. With an emphasis on experiential (hands-on) education, the Foundation encourages exploration and investigation. The Foundation provides the knowledge and skills for individuals to sustain both themselves and our planet.
On the Farm
Established in 2010, Evergreen's award-winning STEM field trips and science camps for elementary, middle, and high school students consistently achieve a 25-50% increase in science literacy per class. Program descriptions can be found here.
On & Off the Farm
Evergreen's Kindergarten Discovery program, a year-long program that combines field trips with in-school activities, demonstrated a 15%increase in student food science/nutrition literacy and students were found to retain that knowledge (77% retention rate). The program increased vegetable and fruit consumption by 11% and 44% respectively.
Our Foundation Board of Directors
The Evergreen Heritage Center Foundation Board of Directors represent our community and many of our community stakeholders.
Dr. Chris Ogden, Vice Chair
Ms. Janice Keene, President
Mr. Richard Sauer, Operations Officer
Ms. Harriet Moore, Secretary
Dr. Sudhir Singh, Treasurer
Our Academic Partners include:
- Allegany College of Maryland
- Allegany County Public Schools
- Frostburg State University
- Garrett College
- Garrett County Public Schools
- University of Maryland
- Washington County Public Schools
Our Environmental Partners include:
- American Chestnut Foundation
- American Forest Foundation
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Maryland Departments of the Environment, Natural Resources, and Agriculture
- Maryland Energy Administration
- Maryland Forests Association
- The Nature Conservancy
- Trout Unlimited
Our Regional Organization Partners include:
- Appalachian Regional Commission
- Rural Maryland Council
- Tri-County Council of Western Maryland
- Western Maryland RC&D
- Western Maryland Scenic Railroad
Our Public Service Partners include:
- Department of Juvenile Services
- Allegany County Human Resources Development Commission (HRDC)
- Judy Center
- Salvation Army
The Evergreen Heritage Center Foundation is honored to be recognized both regionally and statewide for its efforts in education, conservation, and preservation.